Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jumping Frog




Jumping frog activity can be used for group activity for all primary grades, and complete the design brief . The lower grades should not be disadvantaged by sentence formation, grammer or spelling, they can be encouraged to complete the design brief by even drawing.

Investigate the design on the sheet and sharing with whole class after 10 mins of the design. The children who have finished can work on the extended activity like make the frog jump for more than 30cms or by using bigger cardboards and frogs.






This activity acn be one of independent activity or as part of a unit.

I am trying to upload the design brief which is in word format it does upload on the blog, I wonder if I actually need to use paint?

http://www.quia.com/ was a fantastic website for creating quizes for children can be done from preps and extended to yr 6. was very exiting doing the quizes. Can be used for formative or summative assessments in class.
My quiz which was on different terrains with clues of their features and the animals which live there. My quiz's URL is Http://www.quia.com/quiz/2513941.html

Created a game called battleship , it is similar to quiz with incentives in the form of games. My URL for games is Http://www.quia.com/ba/410300.html

The website Quia is a very attractive tool which I will be very inclined to use in my classroom as an individual assessment activity or just even a whole class activity on the white board.

I believe such kinds of summative tests are good , as an experience for the students, for the students to clearly see how much they have learnt and also helps the teacher to understand in fact how much learning has taken place, but the questions prepared in the quiz should not be twisted or tricky just by changing the wording or hard to understand language. I also think such quizzes should be done for testing each week which becomes a part of the revision process and also on a smaller content when it is still fresh in students mind when compared to end of the term or every month. Such quizzes will also help all students to be at par , as even if the missed out on learning they can still learn with the information given.
These tests are also easy to show to parents who wants to see something concrete. These can also be done in turns , a whole period need not be wasted with printed tests.

I liked the Enchanted learning website , which is of special interest to me as it has art and also craft for hands on activities on different domains of learning.
The design brief and a box guitar are activities which can be used as very engaging activity for thinking skills and also developing writing skills in literacy.

22/9 Two weeks back I read 'The reading Bug' by Paul Jenning i found it to be very useful , has got a lot of list of books which can be used for different ages , that is the just right books for the age appropriate. The list has helped me many times in choosing a book for the class .
Paul Jenning is also a big hit in my class.

Last term in my school rounds in grade 2 we just finished researching and writing on the famous aboriginals and australians and we also looked up some dreamtime stories on the dust echoes.

1 comment:

  1. LEARNING FEDERATION has been great for my grade 2 children, it has great resourses I have used it very often for maths with some activitiies on number patterns and place value. I also used it for values cooperation anf Friendship. Also used for teaching conjunctions in literacy.

    ReplyDelete